Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chili Sin Carne

If you haven't noticed, up until now I haven't had a classic chili recipe in my collection. I just hadn't found one that I liked yet. I've tried tons out on my crew, but they (and I) were left dissatisfied. I challenged my Bro to find a good recipe - since he lives near Kansas City, the capital of BBQ, maybe there is some great recipe that minus the meat would surely satisfy. He out did my expectations. And for this I will ever be grateful. He brought the excitement back into vegan chili for me.

There are a few key "secret ingredients" that I'm sure you will find interesting, including my latest obsession: wheat berries. In my previous post I wrote about pilaf and it's many uses - well, wheat berries by themselves, have a variety of uses as well. I cook them in a rice cooker the same way as the pilaf. You can freeze them as well (infact, they separate easily when frozen, so you can pull out a cup at a time) The addition of wheat berries to this chili gives a chewy texture that resembles meat - and quite frankly has fooled some meat-eaters already. That's the fun part for me!


Chili Sin Carne

2 onions chopped (1 1/4 Cup cooked in at beginning. ¾ cup added for crunch at end)

4 cloves garlic minced

2 cans pinto or chili beans, drained

2 cans black beans, drained

2 small cans tomato paste

1 can diced tomatoes (I pulsed mine in processor, you decide)

¾ cup fresh cilantro

1 Tablespoon brown sugar

1 tsp cumin

1 Tablespoon cocoa

1 teaspoon cayenne (I had to omit this, too spicy for me)

1 teaspoon coriander

1 cup strong decaf coffee (I used Postum or Pero - just add 1 Tablespoon per cup of water)

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups cooked wheat berries

Saute the onion in a medium pan until lightly browned. Then add the garlic for a few minutes. Add all other ingredients and bring to a simmer. Serve and Enjoy!

This chili is so rich in flavor, you will not notice anything missing.

I left the cilantro out because I didn't have any on hand. My bro told me not to leave it out, as cilantro is a main player, and should always be invited to the party. Next time I will put it in.


I just have to end by telling you how I ate my chili. I made a batch of fries using my favorite method from Susan Voisin. Then I put this chili over the fries and garnished with some homemade lower fat hummus. It was so yummy!! I got the idea from eating out at the Native Foods restaurant, this is how they serve their chili fries. (But theirs are way higher in fat with actual fried potatoes!) This was a close second and very satisfying. What's your favorite way to enjoy your chili?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you

steph said...

I am totally making this. It looks wonderful. Love the pictures too.

Jim Morgan said...

Nice job Jenn. Great pictures too.


 

track traffic
British Air Line