Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Items I can't live without...

Potatoes - All kinds!! Hashbrowns (the shredded kind with no oil added), baked, boiled or mashed, they are filling, comforting and a super healthy food staple.


Corn - Fresh is my favorite, but frozen comes in handy for everyday use. I add corn to salads, tacos, corn bread, and use as a side dish with plenty of thyme, lemon and a dash of sugar.


Bragg's Liquid Aminos - I use this seasoning in soups, on top of rice or potatoes, or my favorite, sprayed on popcorn sprinkled with cayenne pepper.

Rice, Soy, Almond milks - for use in cereal, or to whip up mashed potatoes instead of butter, can be used in any recipe that calls for milk.

Ener-G-Egg Replacer - (It's just potato starch - like corn starch) Use in baked goods to substitute eggs. Available in natural food stores, 112 eggs for about $5 !! Great for food storage. Lately I have been subbing the potato starch for cornstarch and haven't seen a difference in baked goods!!


Gnoucchi - Italian potato dumplings usually found shelf stable or in the freezer section. Top with your favorite marinara sauce, or your own low-fat creation.


Applesauce - Also used alot in baking to substitute fat. I use in my muffin and quickbread recipes alot! I buy huge jars as Costco and never run out.


Puffed Grain Cereals - The healthiest cereal you can buy - cheapest too! I ate this alot when I was on the MWL Program, topped with sliced bananas and a sprinkle of sugar. I like the puffed wheat and puffed kamut the best. Choose whole grain cereals when you can.


Oats/Oatmeal - My breakfast standard. I just vary the toppings on my oatmeal for variety. I could eat it every day! Some of my favorite toppings are: Fresh or frozen berries, bananas, Grape-Nuts cereal, and of course a bit of your favorite sweetener - I just use brown sugar.


Fresh/Canned Soups: If you have the time, make a yummy soup once a week and eat it for lunch on top of brown/white rice or potatoes (all kinds). If you don't have time, then find some healthy low-fat (less than 10% of calories from fat) soups to heat up on the go.


Cocoa - I love chocolate!! When I need a fix, I either make some Chocolate Love Pudding, or some chocolate cookies made with cocoa. I've even sprinkled it in my oatmeal (with brown sugar of coarse) !! I like the brand called "Wonder Cocoa" it has a richer flavor than other brands.


Flourless Bread - Ezekiel's Sesame is my favorite! Great on the MWL Program, if you are cutting back on flours for some quicker weightloss.

Veggie Broth - Available in cubes or powders, essential for soup bases, making gravy, and jsut general all-purpose seasoning.

Seasoned Rice Vinegar /A Good Aged Balsamic - I use as salad dressings with salt and pepper. The easiest way to go!

Homemade Salsa - I love my recipe, but use your favorite one. I make a double batch once a week and we use it on everything. I put it on my salads with rice vinegar, brown rice, corn and beans for a hearty lunch.

Corn Tortillas - Pop a few in the toaster for quick "chips" to dip in salsa - or if you have a little more time, sprinkle with a little water and salt, and broil on top rack for 7 minutes - delicious!!


Spices - Depending on how much you cook from scratch, you will just buy them as needed, you'll find the ones you use most. I have found turmeric (for color) , garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and a good quality curry to be essentials in my cupboard. Smoked Paprika is on my wish list...

Nutritional Yeast - I mostly use this in Susan Voisin's Mac n' Cheez recipe, it's lovely!! But I'm experimenting with other uses as well.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Food storage! Oh, thou author of Pass the Potatoes, you've made me very happy. I thought I was the only vegan one in my group. Thanks for the support!

Anonymous said...

Wonder Cocoa sounds amazing! I'll have to check it out!


 

track traffic
British Air Line