Saturday, January 31, 2009

Instant Breakfast Rice

Lately, I'm a big fan of quick and easy. The spring cleaning bug is hitting me early this year (probably because of the summer-like weather we've been having - ugh!) and I just don't have the time or energy to be trying lots of new dishes when I'm trying to clean up the effects of a busy winter season. So...I've been eating lots of short grain brown rice (my absolute favorite grain - below) various different ways.



One of my favorite ways is in this recipe that I got from a friend (thanks KJ : ) and then "McDougallized" it. Using rice as a breakfast grain may sound strange to you , but actually it has been around for ages. We just aren't used to seeing rice on the breakfast table here on the west coast.


Instant Breakfast Rice
Try replacing your daily bowl of oatmeal with this warm and cozy comfort food. And if you get a sweet tooth after dinner - why not have another?

1/2 - 1 cup leftover short grain brown rice
sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon
add a dash of vanilla (or not)
Top with your favorite non-dairy milk (use a little; or more for creamier rice)

Optional:
fresh grated apples
dried raisins, cranberries, or cherries

Heat in microwave for 2 minutes.
Enjoy!




This is fast becoming my go to, even over cold cereal - which I love! Today I made some even without the milk; Just heated up some rice, added freshly grated apples, cinnamon & brown sugar...viola! It was simple, tasty and virtually mess free. Let me know what combinations you some up with!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This is my favorite breakfast -- sort like rice pudding for breakfast!

Krista said...

I like my hot cereals with pineapples chunks and juice and some ginger. Yummy.

But the best way to eat hot cereal is with a big ol' spoonful of peanut butter. Not McDougall friendly, but yummy.

Blackstrap molasses is also great on top. Yummy calcium and iron!


 

track traffic
British Air Line