Thursday, May 27, 2010

Red Leaf Lettuce with Roasted Corn & Pico De Gallo


It's almost time to get into the swim suit. And I'm feeling the effects of too many "treats" basking around my bottom half.

SO, it's back to 2 salads a day for a while. Do thoughts of salads make you cringe? I know it's hard in McDougall world to find a dressing that's fat free and palatable - I don't care for the bottled fat free varieties. But I DO love rice vinegar paired with different things...like PICO DI GALLO.

You can make your own pico de gallo or buy it pre-made at the store - it is one of my staples. And the kids don't like the chunkiness so they don't touch it - but recently my hubby tasted my salad and was like, "Oooh - that pico de gallo rocks!" Now I think I'll be sharing with him.

In addition to salads, I use it to top baked potatoes, brown rice and even oatmeal!! Just kidding on the last one. I wanted to make sure you are paying attention.

I learned from Susan V that you can roast corn on the cob super easy by throwing them in the oven with their husks still on. 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. And because I LOVE corn on the cob I almost always have leftovers on hand for this salad. But if you don't, you can use frozen corn or * gasp * canned if you must. ; ) Read more about how to roast corn here.



Red Leaf Lettuce with Roasted Corn & Pico De Gallo
This isn't so much a recipe as it is a combination idea - use your own amounts. To make this more filling you can add warm brown rice too. Warm rice on a cold salad? Try it! It's so dang good.

red leaf lettuce (or whatever kind you like/have on hand)
1 cob of roasted corn, sliced off the cob
pico de gallo
sprinkling of seasoned rice vinegar
salt & pepper

1 comment:

Jennifer B. said...

Just the inspiration I need. You're the best!


 

track traffic
British Air Line